You’ve probably already heard that regular oil changes are extremely important for the health of your vehicle’s engine. That’s sound advice. But what you might not know is when it comes to motor oil, the real thing may not be the best thing for your engine.
There are different types of motor oil:
- Conventional oil, extracted from the ground and refined.
- Synthetic oil, manufactured from high-quality base oils and artificially-made chemical compounds.
- Synthetic oil blend, a mixture of conventional and synthetic oils.
The first thing you need to know is that most new engines require synthetic oil. If synthetic oil is recommended for your car – you MUST use it.
For the rest, there are many advantages to using synthetic oil over conventional oil.
- Synthetic oil provides better protection for your engine while helping it to perform better.
- Conventional oil breaks down over time, while synthetic oil lasts longer.
- Synthetics can stand higher temperature extremes, both heat, and cold.
Synthetic oil can be a better choice if you live in an extremely hot or cold climate or put a lot of strain on your engine by towing or carrying heavy loads. It also may be good for older engines that sometimes have a tendency to develop sludge.
Synthetic oil is a more expensive option, but you likely won’t have to have your oil changed as often. Some synthetics are recommended to last 10,000-15,000 miles/16,000-24,000 km between changes.
You might also consider a synthetic blend that gives you some of the advantages of synthetic oil at a lower cost. Have a talk with your service adviser about recommendations for what will best suit your vehicle and driving habits.
It’s interesting to note that in recent years, more than one out of two vehicle owners are opting for synthetic oil or a synthetic blend when they get their oil changed. Sounds like they’re on to something. In the long run, if you have fewer oil changes with synthetics, you’ll use less oil, a bonus for our environment.
Made In America Made In Japan
1200 I St
Sacramento, California 95814